Whitby Workshop - Whitby Pier

After breakfast we went onto the pier to take long exposure pictures of the opposite pier and the town. I was rather taken with the movement of people up and down the pier which, when looking back towards the town, was facing directly into some warm sunshine which created a glow from the plank floor boarding of the pier. We were using 10 stop filters to get the exposure time up and for the people pictures I adjusted the ISO to get exposure times of 1/2 to 2 seconds in order to get some delineation of the figures but also some movement.
The weather was clear but cold with some interesting clouds. I had brought fingerless gloves with me and wondered at my stupidity as I lost the feeling in the end of my fingers.

I have converted most of these pictures into monochrome as well so I will post two sets - one colour and one black and white -  I can never decide which I prefer. The first picture is not a long exposure, but of the town of Whitby from the pier. The last picture is one I took as a copy of a picture Doug had taken on a previous trip - so I call it Doug's Ladder.





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten days on Zuza to St Kilda - 11th June - we go ashore in Village Bay

Ten days on Zuza to St Kilda - 8th June - we go aboard in Oban

Ten days on Zuza to St Kilda - 10th June - Lochmaddy to St Kilda

A weekend in the Dingle, a damp drive and exciting lichen