Road to the isles, 24th June, a solitary walk

After I had dropped Alan and Rene off in Rothesay for their trip on the Waverley and done a little shopping for the evening meal, I found my day of photography had been whittled down to half a day.
I went back to Kilchattan and drove to the end of the road, where the buses turn round, and parked up. From here there is a footpath which wends round the coast to a small lighthouse at Rubh'an Eun or 'bird headland', looking across a 100m deep channel to Little Cumbrae.
The weather was pretty dull and by the end of the afternoon it had started to drizzle.
The walk started through a little piece of woodland and then hugged the shore across bogland where Hettie got mired a couple of times. I was amazed at the number of orchids and other wild flowers putting on a fine display for me. I had to skirt a broken path at the base of Hawk's Nib, a low sandstone cliff and finally came round a rocky shoreline to see the lighthouse. By the time I had got there I realised I would have to turn round in order to get back in time to pick Alan and Rene up from the quay in Rothesay. I must have passed three people on the route so it was a lovely quiet spot.
On the way out I used the D800 camera but switched to the infrared D3200 on the way back. One of the infrared pictures shows Hawk's Nib on the right. The last two photographs were taken in Kilchattan later that evening.
The assorted flowers are, I think, in order, ragged robin, yellow rattle, pyramidal orchid, spotted orchid, marsh thistle, and cotton grass.
























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten days on Zuza to St Kilda - 11th June - we go ashore in Village Bay

Ten days on Zuza to St Kilda - 8th June - we go aboard in Oban

A weekend in the Dingle, a damp drive and exciting lichen

The Ancient Agora of Athens