Some Essex barns

Not too far from where I live lie 3 corrugated iron barns, snuggled up close to each other and gradually sinking into dilapidation. In fact the third has been almost totally submerged by brambles. Every so often I have a go at photographing them and I have had a yen to try out some blends of colour shots and infrared shots. The day was quite dramatic and while  I was there the clouds rolled in followed by a thunderstorm. As I was leaving it started to rain torrentially. Needless to say under such conditions there was some gusting wind which affected the longer exposure infrared shots.
I photographed the barns with and without a 650nm infrared filter on the front. The filter is from Japan and I don't think of particularly good quality, unlike the Hoya 720nm one I have. As the light was from behind the barn I bracketed my exposures so that I could make an HDR image or blend the exposures in photoshop if I needed to. I made a gentle HDR conversion of the first image which was not that different from what I could achieve with a single image in Lightroom. I blended the HDR image with the black and white conversion of the infrared image to get a softer look.
With the second view the infrared did not work well - I think I was getting flare, so the merge of infrared and colour images did not work. In the third view, that of the submerged barn, I have shown the merged colour/infrared picture, I am not sure which version of this I like best.

Single image
HDR image
Black and white conversion of HDR image
Infrared black and white conversion
Merge of HDR and infrared B&W conversion
Single image
Infrared black and white conversion
Single image
Infrared black and white conversion
Merge of colour image and infrared black and white conversion

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten days on Zuza to St Kilda - 11th June - we go ashore in Village Bay

Ten days on Zuza to St Kilda - 8th June - we go aboard in Oban

Ten days on Zuza to St Kilda - 10th June - Lochmaddy to St Kilda

A weekend in the Dingle, a damp drive and exciting lichen